Today the sixth part in the series about Lausanne; an overview all IOC related buildings in the city.
(read previous posts)
Palais de Rumine
Lausanne hosted the Olympic Congress on ‘Sports psychologie and physiology’ in 1913, two years before the IOC settled in the city.
Casino de Montbenon
First IOC Headquarters in Lausanne from 1915 to 1922. In 1915, the IOC moved from Paris to Lausanne. Almost all of Europe was in war (First World War) and Switzerland was one of the few countries that was neutral.
IOC Headquarters from 1922 to 1968. Also the location of the first Olympic Museum.
1937; Death of Pierre de Coubertin.
Château de Vidy
IOC Headquarters from 1968. Expanded in 1986 (photo below). The extension is now demolished to make way for the new Olympic House. The IOC has moved to a temporary headquarters in Pully.
The Olympic Museum
Located in Ouchy on the shores of Lake Geneva. The museum was founded by former IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch and designed by Pedro Ramírez Vázquez (architect, president of the organizing committee of the 1968 Mexico City Olympics and IOC member). The Olympic Museum was inaugurated in 1993 and renovated between 2012 and 2013. The site is also home to the Olympic Studies Centre and a large park.
1994; Lausanne becomes ‘the Olympic Capital’
2015; 100th anniversary of IOC establishment in Lausanne. The City of Lausanne has accepted to grant the IOC a lease until 2115.
Temporay headquarters (from 2016) during the construction of the new Olympic House.
Lausanne Palace & Spa
Official hotel of the International Olympic Committee. Also venue for some EB meetings.
Maison du Sport International (House of International Sport)
Founded in 2001 by the International Olympic Committee, the Canton de Vaud and the City of Lausanne. Tenants include international sports federations and organisations and other companies active in the field of sport.
Olympic House (under construction)