In 1915, Baron Pierre de Coubertin chose Lausanne as the location for the headquarters of the International Olympic Committee. Today, more dan 50 international sports federations and organisations are are based in Lausanne.
In the coming weeks we will post more about Lausanne and the IOC. Today part 2; About Lausanne.
(see all posts in this series)
Facts and figures
- Situated on the shores of Lake Geneva in the French-speaking part of Switzerland
- Capital of the Canton of Vaud
- Population: 140.000 (fourth largest city in Switzerland)
- Altitude: Between 375 and 900m, city centre: 495m
- Lausanne was founded by the Romans. (a military camp that came to be known as Lousanna)
- Lausanne is a student city with two higly regarded universities; the ‘Université de Lausanne’ and the ‘École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne’
- Home to the Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland
- Host of the 2020 Winter Youth Olympic Games
Hyperlapse video by Sylvain Botter