During the IOC Executive Board meetings, the Organising Committees for the Olympic Games (OCOG) gave an update on their preparations:
Next Olympic Host City with 425 Days to go. Activities taking place:
- World Press Briefing
- World Broadcaster Meeting
- Chef de Mission – one year to go
- 24 Test events
Buenos Aires 2018
Three new sports were added to the programme;
- Dance sport (men’s, women’s and mixed team breakdancing)
- Karate (three kumite events per gender)
- Sport Climbing (combined event for men and women – lead, bouldering and speed)
About the $20 billion budget, Mark Adams (IOC President’s Spokesman) said:
“That is a ceiling, meaning that it’s not the figure. And it’s certainly not a figure that the IOC recognizes or sees were it really comes from. And we gave the very strong opinion advise that they can and will save more money, particularly on that 20 billion figure which seems to come, we know not were from really. It’s a ceiling and certainly not a figure that we recognize.”
Mark Adams (IOC President’s Spokesman) said:
“Impressive report from 2022. I Think the executive board were very impressed by the progress being made. The OCOG is taking shape, now got a 176 staff. 50 of whom were on the Rio observers programme.”
The IOC Executive Board announced that Los Angeles, Budapest and Paris will transition to the next stage of the candidature process:
- February 3, 2017; Deadline for submission of Candidature File stage 3.
- April/May 2017; IOC Evaluation Commission visits each city.
- July 2017; Candidate City 2024 Briefing (for IOC members and Summer Olympic International Federations).
- September 12-17, 2017; 130th IOC Session in Lima, Peru.
IOC president Thomas Bach also made some notable statements about the Candidature Process. Read more about this in this comprehensive article by Gamesbids.com.