Today marks the start of the 2016 Winter Youth Olympics in Lillehammer. A few statistics:
- Second winter edition (fourth Youth Olympic Games)
- Four host cities; Lillehammer, Hamar, Gjøvik, and Øyer
- Lillehammer hosted the 1994 Winter Olympics
- Approximately 70 nations
- 10 competition days
- 1100 athletes from the age of 15 to 18
- 9 competition venues
- 11 non-competition venues
- Website: www.lillehammer2016.com
- Competition Schedule [pdf]
70 sports events will be hosted in Lillehammer, Hamar, Gjøvik, Øyer and Oslo. With the addition of new venues for Ice Hockey and Curling, and use of the Superpipe in Oslo Winter Park, Lillehammer 2016 will reuse the Olympic venues from the 1994 Winter Olympic Games.
All venues have had scheduled upgrades in time for Lillehammer 2016 which are designed to keep these venues in world class conditions for years to come. The fact that some venues are older than many of the participating athletes shows they are built to last.
Source / Read more: www.lillehammer2016.com/en