You might have missed
New posts this week;
- Rio 2016; Medal design and new slogan unveiled
- Rio 2016; Spectator Guides
- Road to Rio; 54 Days to go!
Events from June 17 to June 26; (see full event calender)
- June 23; Olympic Day
Elsewhere on the internet
The latest news, videos, and discussion topics in our weekly news roundup;
- Olympic Rings join the Beijing Skyline [IOC]
- Tokyo Governor, Yoichi Masuzoe, Resigns Over Spending Scandal [The New York Times]
Richard Rogers on his role in convincing the jury to select Zaha Hadid’s Aquatics Centre design [Dezeen]
In this exclusive video, Richard Rogers reflects on his role in convincing the jury to select Zaha Hadid’s design for the London Aquatics Centre, a building he considers to be “a roaring success”.
Hadid’s Aquatics Centre was one of the key venues during the London 2012 Olympic Games and now provides swimming, diving and gym facilities to the public.
Rogers chaired the jury that ultimately selected Hadid’s design. However, he reveals that it was difficult to convince the jury that Hadid was the right choice.
“We had to fight like hell to get it,” Rogers says in the movie, which Dezeen filmed in London as part of our Zaha Hadid video tribute collaboration with Architizer.
“There were a number of architects who could not see where she was going. We worked late into the night, I remember, but we did persuade the jury to select her and it’s a roaring success.”
Read the full story: www.dezeen.com/?p=915344
Most read articles
These are the most-read articles that were posted recently;
- Rio 2016; Meet the mascots!
- Rio 2016; Construction update Barra Olympic Park
- Rio 2016; Olympic venues in Google Maps (update 02-02-2016)
- 2022 Bid; Oslo2022 visual identity by Snøhetta
- London 2012; Look of the Games
Rio de Janeiro 2016
Olympic Games: 49 days to go!
Paralympic Games: 82 days to go!