Milan / Cortina d’Ampezzo is one of the three candidate cities for the XXV Olympic Winter Games. You can read more about the 2026 bidding process here.
Summary venue master plan
- 12 Competition venues
- 8 Existing
- 1 Temporary
- 2 Existing – Permanent works required
- 1 New
- 92% of venues are extisting or temporary
- 3 Venues from the 1956 Cortina d’Ampezzo Olympic Winter Games
- 4 Olympic Villages
- 22% of beds in existing facilities
- 5-6 Clusters
- Distances between clusters:
- Milan – Cortina 415km / 5h00
- Milan – Valtellina 130km / 2h30
- Milan – Val di Fiemme 290km / 4h00
- Cortina – Bormio 330km / 5h30
- The venue for Biathlon has yet to be determined.
- The Paralympic Games concept is not yet finalised.
Master plan in Google Maps
Why Milan / Cortina d’Ampezzo? According to the report of the IOC Working Group:
Milan and Cortina d’Ampezzo present an attractive project, combining the advantages of a big European city and those of a popular mountain resort region in the Italian Alps. The candidature benefits from the region’s strong winter sports history, tradition and experience, as well as the Italians’ love and passion for sports. The project can also leverage the economic strength and prosperity of the northern Italian region. While planning is still at an early stage, the project has the potential to achieve the longterm goals of the cities and the region in line with Olympic Agenda 2020 / the New Norm.
Source: Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games 2026 – IOC Working Group Report