Games over for Hamburg!
The people of Hamburg voted against hosting the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. Nearly 52 percent of voters said NO to the ambitious Senate plans resulting in the withdrawal of Hamburg from the bidding process.
It hasn’t been enough
In a referendum that ended on Sunday, 29th November, Nealry 52 percent of the Hamburg population voted against proceeding with the bid to host the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Prior to the referendum the city’s government, the Senate, confirmed that it will comply with the decision made by voters at the polls.
As a result, the joint bid of Hamburg and Kiel (where sailing competitions were planned) for the 2024 Games will be officially withdrawn.
The journey to date:
4. April 2014: At an assembly in St. Johann near Mainz the DOSB (German Olympic Sport Association) announces the desire to host Olympic and Paralympic Games in Germany. Hamburg and Berlin engage in a national competition to host the Games.
28. Oktober 2014: In a statement the DOSB confirms that it will run to host the 2024 Games of the XXXIII. Olympiad. Berlin and Hamburg are announced national candidate cities.
16. März 2015: The DOSB board recommends supporting Hamburg’s bid to host the 2024 Games.
21. März 2015: The DOSB unanimously declares Hamburg the national candidate to bid for the 2024 and possibly 2028 Games.
13. April: The city of Kiel is confirmed to join the bid as host for the sailing competitions.
Juni 2015: A two-thirds majority in the Hamburg Parliament, the Bürgerschaft, votes in favour of amending legislation to hold a public referendum whether to bid for the 2024 Olympic Games. By 29 November enrolled voters of a minimum age of 16 are heading to the polls to say Yes or No.
30. Juni 2015: A state-run company to manage the bid for the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games is being founded.
9. September 2015: Hamburgs First Major Olaf Scholz and DOSB-President Alfons Hörmann sign and mail the official bidding letter.
15. September: The IOC closes the entry period for potential candidate cities.
16. September 2015: The IOC officially announces the five 2024 candidate cities.
26. Oktober bis 27. November 2015: The Hamburg Electoral Commission is mailing referendum papers to voters.