Press release (Source: Beijing Organising Committee for the 2022 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games);
Beijing 2022 today launched a global design competition for the mascots of the 2022 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, inviting people from around the world to come up with original designs for these important ambassadors of the Games.
At a ceremony held in Beijing’s Olympic Park, Secretary of the CPC Beijing Municipal Committee and Beijing 2022 President Cai Qi declared the design competition officially open.
Mascots are among the most memorable symbols of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games. Beijing 2022 looks forward to receiving creative design proposals from across the globe that embody Olympic and Paralympic values, affirm the vision of the 2022 Games, and reflect Chinese culture.
Designers could submit proposals to Beijing 2022 from October 20-31, 2018, in person or by mail. Beijing 2022 is expected to unveil the winning designs in the second half of 2019.
The launch ceremony for the design competition was held as part of an event to mark the 10-year anniversary of the Olympic Games Beijing 2008. The anniversary celebration also coincided with China’s 10th National Fitness Day, providing a fitting setting to look ahead to Beijing 2022 while celebrating the legacies of Beijing 2008.
The ceremony and the celebrations took place in the plaza between the “Bird’s Nest” National Stadium and the “Water Cube” National Aquatics Center. These two iconic Beijing 2008 venues will be used for Beijing 2022, serving as the opening and closing ceremonies venue and the curling venue, respectively.
When the new school year begins in September, elementary and secondary school students across China will be encouraged to create their own mascots for the Games in art classes, as part of Beijing 2022’s Olympic Education Program to engage more youth.
The Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games Beijing 2022 will take place in Beijing and Zhangjiakou in 2022. Athletes, coaches, and reporters from all over the world will happily gather in Beijing to celebrate this global sports gala, while billions of people will watch the Games in the venues or via television and digital media. Hosting a fantastic, extraordinary and excellent edition of the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games will leave precious cultural and sport legacies for Beijing, China and the Olympic and Paralympic Movements.
The Mascots for the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games Beijing 2022 (hereinafter referred to as the “Beijing 2022 Olympic Mascot” and “Beijing 2022 Paralympic Mascot”, respectively, or collectively, “Mascots”) shall be an important part of the Look of the Games for the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games Beijing 2022.
To ensure that the Beijing 2022 Olympic Mascot and the Beijing 2022 Paralympic Mascot perfectly combine global, national, artistic, and innovative elements, the Beijing Organizing Committee for the 2022 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (hereinafter referred to as “Beijing 2022″) hereby globally requests Design Proposals for the Beijing 2022 Olympic Mascot and the Beijing 2022 Paralympic Mascot (hereinafter referred to as “Design Proposal”) on August 8, 2018. (The said request hereinafter referred to as “Request”)
Beijing 2022 welcomes all natural persons, legal persons and other organizations (hereinafter referred to as “Participants”) that are interested in designing the Beijing 2022 Olympic Mascot and the Beijing 2022 Paralympic Mascot to actively participate in the Request and contribute their wisdom and creativity to the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games Beijing 2022.
Qualification of the Participants
All natural persons, legal persons and other organizations that are interested in designing the Beijing 2022 Olympic Mascot and the Beijing 2022 Paralympic Mascot and willing to comply with all requirements of the Request may individually or jointly participate in the Request and submit the Design Proposal.
Time and manner of the receiving of the Design Proposal
1. The sealed Design Proposal must be delivered in person or mailed to the Mascots Design Request Office of Beijing 2022 before the deadline for receiving Design Proposals. Beijing 2022 assumes no responsibility for whether or not the Design Proposal is successfully delivered on time.
The starting time and the deadline for the receiving of the Design Proposal (by the time of reaching the recipient at the address designated by Beijing 2022):
Starting time: 9:00 am, October 20, 2018 (Beijing Time)
Deadline: 5:00 pm, October 31, 2018 (Beijing Time)
Address: No. 68, Shijingshan Road., Shijingshan District, Beijing, PRC
Addressee: Mascots Design Request Office, Beijing 2022
In case any change is made to the above address or any other information, Beijing 2022 will provide updates on its official website. The Participants shall pay attention to related information from time to time.
2. Any Design Proposal received by Beijing 2022 after the submission deadline will not be accepted. Beijing 2022 will conduct formal review of all Design Proposals starting from November 1, 2018 (Beijing Time).
Procedures and Prizes for the Request
1. Beijing 2022 will release the Request Document lately., Then the Participants may download the Request Document on the official website of Beijing 2022 (www.beijing2022.cn).
2. The Participants shall prepare the Design Proposal as per the requirements of the Request Document and ensure that Beijing 2022 receives the Design Proposal after the starting time of receiving Design Proposal and before the deadline of receiving. Beijing 2022 will not return any and all of the Design Proposals.
3. The review committee of the Request will review the Design Proposal(s) that have passed the formal review. The review committee will conduct the following reviews:
(1) Determine the Design Proposals that can enter the second round of selection: There shall be no more than 100 of Design Proposals (each shall include the Beijing 2022 Olympic Mascot and the Beijing 2022 Paralympic Mascot) in the second round;
(2) Determine no more than 10 Design Proposals from the Design Proposals that enter the second round, and submit such Design Proposals to Beijing 2022 for a final decision.
4. The Design Proposal of the Beijing 2022 Olympic Mascot and the Beijing 2022 Paralympic Mascot shall be finally approved by Beijing 2022, the International Olympic Committee, and the International Paralympic Committee.
5. A total prize of RMB 10,000 (before tax) will be granted to the Participant for each of the 10 shortlisted Design Proposals submitted to Beijing 2022 for final decision by the review committee. Each of the Participants of the top three Design Proposals will receive a prize of RMB 30,000 (before tax). The Participant of the final winning proposal will receive a prize of RMB100,000 (before tax) for the design of the Beijing 2022 Olympic Mascot and a prize of RMB100,000 (before tax) for the design of the Beijing 2022 Paralympic Mascot. The aforesaid three prizes shall not be accumulated.
If any above Design Proposal is submitted jointly by two or more participants, such participants shall allocate the prize between themselves, and any disputes arise between them shall not have anything to do with Beijing 2022. Beijing 2022 shall award the prize after deducting tax according to the law to the designated account of the participant(s) after receiving all qualified documents submitted by the participant(s) winning the prize.